On Saturday morning, October 17, Emily and I got up early to take the train to the Pisa airport, and then a plane to the London-Gatwick airport. Emily has family in London that she has recently been reunited with, and was thrown a curve-ball when we got there: her cousin was waiting at the airport to pick her up and bring her to their country home in Malvern, UK. Originally, Emily and I were going to travel together to meet our friend and sorority sister, Devon, who is studying abroad through Elon in London. I then ventured on my own (Sorry Dad, I know I am not supposed to go alone but I had no choice) and took one train and 3 separate tube lines until I got to Warwick Avenue on the Bakerloo line with my huge luggage in tow. I am not a light packer. I found the tube system to be extremely easy, much easier than New York City, and I really had no problem getting there.
When I got out of the tube station, Devon met me with open arms. It was really exciting to see her after all this time. We had dinner and caught each other up on everything that has been going on the past few months we have been apart. She introduced me to one of her friends on the trip named Barrett, who also had a friend visiting. They were really nice and we all got along really well. Devon and Barrett then took me to a few of her favorite pubs in the area and then we retired to bed.
The next day we all went to breakfast at Clifton Gardens and ordered a traditional English scone and tea. It was delicious. Then, Devon got a phone call from her brother, Brandon, and her cousin Jonathan, that were backpacking through Europe and said they were on their way to see Devon. Devon was ecstatic, but I was nervous about what the day ahead of me was to bring. Luckily for me, Barrett took me under her wing and brought me to an outdoor market called the Spitalfields Market, and was located right near Liverpool Street. I wasn't sure what to expect because the markets in Florence consist mostly of leather goods, ceramics, and jewelry. This market was extremely cool and hip. There were stands selling everything from scarves to oysters. It was unbelievable and I felt like the market went on forever. There were even upcoming designers trying to get their name out there. It was a really cool experience and we spent most of the day walking around there. There was even a time where I got lost from the group and thought I would never find my way back.
After the market, we headed back to meet Devon and her brothers, along with Emily who had returned from the countryside, for dinner at Ben's Thai Restaurant. It was nice to have food that was not Italian, but at the same time I missed it a little. After dinner, we went back to Devon's apartment and planned the ULTIMATE tourist day for Monday. More to come....
No comments:
Post a Comment